Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Poop...get in the toilet?

Strange title you say?
Well that's what a mom with a little boy who is potty training says or at least thinks? I came home from Sunriver and told Loren we are putting Max in underwear and I know we will have accidents but it's time to do it. First week went way better than I expected, we did have a few poop accidents, but not near as amany as I thought we would have. Max gets the potty thing but #2 is the problem! I have told him I will put him in a diaper to do the #2 thing but he never tells me until after he is done. Its hard not to get frustrated but I can't show him that because I am so proud of him for peeing in the potty! PLEASE HELP! I know many of you have been through this and I am hoping you can help. He is a boy which makes it a little more difficult with the sitting and standing thing. It's so nice to think of only one child in diapers! What a great thing that will be!
Wish me luck!!!

4 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GOOD LUCK!! We have Blaine sit for both right now, potty phase 2 will be standing up. So this is total mommy advice take it or leave it. Blaine was not too interested in Potty training until he realized that when he goes in the potty he gets to see it. He is very proud to see his #2 in the potty and flush it down. And of course we have incentives like smoothies and potty presents. Every child is different...so who knows what will work for Max. But taking off the diaper is the first step..

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Oh and I forgot...Showing Blaine Easton's stinky poop in the diaper and what a mess it makes helped him to understand why the potty is a better place for the BIG BOY to go.

Mel

McCray Family said...

Keep going Jill! He will do great! I have to say though, its very confusing to little people (boys included) to pee on a potty but poop in a diaper, it had to be all or nothing or else it will take you months! Go cold turkey with underwear and make him claen himself (as much as posible) when he has accidents and big rewards when he goes! Talk to everyone about it and he will be so proud of himself! He can do it! Devon was potty trained right at 2 and it only took a week of hard core training, keep going! FInd his trigger reward and use that every time, stamps, stickers, treats, the park , whatever!

Michelle said...

Yes, I agree with Jenn, you gotta just stick with the underwear. It's too confusing to switch back and forth. And I don't think boys are necessarily harder to potty train, Cristian was a breeze and just over 2 years old. The big key is finding what motivates them THE MOST. For a lot of kids it is candy. I took Cristian to the candy aisle at the store and let him pick out an assortment of things and used them as rewards when he went in the potty. I also made a sticker chart, so everytime he went poop in the potty he put a sticker on his chart, and once he had 25 stickers I took him to the toy store and let him pick out a HUGE Lightning McQueen talking car (this was the "IT" toy back then and he really wanted it). (I had a picture of the toy at the end of his sticker chart so he had a constant visual reminder of what he would get once he filled up his sticker chart) So if you can figure out what really will motivate Max, you'll find it won't take long at all. Once I stuck both my kids in underwear FULL TIME, they were both potty trained within a week. (with Ava, she got candy treats, and her BIG motivating thing was going to pick out new nail polish and have her nails done).

Good Luck Jill (and Max) He can do it!!